Each person should judge his own actions and not compare himself with others. Then he can be proud for what he himself has done. Galatians 6:4

Tuesday, March 20, 2007


Right now I'm reading a novel written by Wanda E. Brunstetter... It's book three in a series of 4. This is probably my 15th book, where I have read about the lives of the Amish People. I would LOVE to spend a month living in their fashion.. and I'm sure it looks EASIER than what it truly is.. but some days I think it would be easier just to associate with a peaceful world than this one! I think the Amish are truly on to something... But then there is my passion for photography and pictures.. I would have to give up scrapbooking.. could I do it? Could you do it? Probably not! I know that I enjoy looking back at memories and remembering how TINY my kids were... and how young I looked once.. ha ha ha.. I know being 34 isn't old.. not even close... but some days I feel 80!!
Be not conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind that ye may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:2)
This is a verse that the Amish say at almost all their church meetings. Being "English" it's so easy to mold yourself into what this world wants of you.. or what you want of the world.. Sometimes we have to remember it's God's world.. not ours..although there are some days I think the world owes me... but deep in my heart I know it isn't true!! My question is.. why do young adults and teens believe that the world owes them EVERY SINGLE DAY!! Have we raised kids to think that they need to think of themselves first... All the Dr. Phil's and the Oprah's in the world believe they should... I disagree...I think as a Christian we need to think of other's first... Take care of the needs of our families of course.. but do outreaching to others.. because not sharing God with others is wrong... and selfish...
Maybe if we shared a bit of love and friendship with neighbors and stepped out of our box at times.. the world might be more able to SLOW down and listen... How often do we say "Hi how are you?" and NEVER EVER listen to the persons answer as we keep walking by.. we don't care... we're to "busy" ( my LEAST favorite word.. but that's a whole other blog page!!) to really care about you.. ladedada...Well since I have to run and finish up dinner for the hungry ones here... I'll share with you the recipe for friendship bread!! Try it and see how long that bread can "grow"....
Amish Friendship Starter
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
Combine the ingredients in a large deep glass or plastic container. Cover lightly. If the container has a lid, leave it slightly ajar or place a piece of cheesecloth over the container and secure with a rubberband. Store at room temperature. Stir every day for 17 days. On day 18 do nothing. On days 19, 20 and 21 stir. On day 22, stir and add 1cup of flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir again. On days 23, 24, 25, and 26 stir. On day 27 add 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of milk. Stir. You should now have about 4 cups of starter. Give 2 friends each 1 cup and keep 2 cups for yourself. Use 1 of the two cups in the Amish Friendship Bread recipe and use the other to keep the starter going.

When you give the starter away include these instructions:
Keeping a starter going: Do not refrigerate and do not use a metal spoon when stirring the starter. On day 1 (the day you receive the starter), do nothing, On days 2, 3 and 4 stir. On day 5 stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and cup milk. Pour mixture into large glass mixing bowl; cover lightly. The mixture will rise. On days 6, 7, 8, and 9 stir. On day 10 stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup milk. Stir. Give 2 friends each 1 cup. Keep for yourself 1 cup to make Friendship Bread and one cup to keep the starter going.
Amish Friendship Bread
1 cup starter
2/3 cup vegetable oil
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar
3 eggs1
1/2tsp baking powder
1- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2tsp salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
Your choice of raisins, chocolate chips, nuts, seeds, apples, dates etc.
Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place batter in well greased and sugared 9x5x3 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350*F for 45-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan

1 comment:

Kitkat said...

Jodi Picoult has a very good book about the Amish, Plain Truth. I know you have read some of her stuff, because of our connection to her. I can't get enough of her! LOVE the USED BOOK STORE! HEY I GOT A JOB!