Each person should judge his own actions and not compare himself with others. Then he can be proud for what he himself has done. Galatians 6:4

Monday, May 07, 2007




First and foremost.. I just wanted to say.. you are "looking at" a 3lb skinnier me!!! My first week of Weight Watchers paid off... Good bye 3lbs.. WOO HOO!!!


Anyway.. I found this really interesting little blurb about Aprons today.. and I wanted to share with you... This apron that is cute and looks Orangey... is probably something I would have made back in my Girl Scout Days. I guess the 70's Fabric screams something back at you too!!



I love aprons.. but I don't wear them.. I love them for decoration.. to me they are antique and old fashioned.. goes with my home theme.. I have them hanging around and LOVE to find them in antique shops or yardsales!!! Growing up I don't remember ANY women in my life who wore Aprons except maybe my great aunt Grace.. She taught me how to make bread and garden.. She told me one day that I would make an EXCELLENT farmers Wife... Well.. I didn't marry a farmer.. but I did marry a boy from the Back Woods of Vermont!! Does that count?


Here's the cute little article!!



The History of Aprons



Written by Thomas Morva
Aprons have been cooks’ companions for hundreds of years. Indeed, aprons were used by men and women for a variety of tasks long before they were seen on 1950s television. During this era, women were portrayed as homemakers and good mothers and you rarely saw them without their aprons.
Some researchers point to Biblical references about aprons. They cite a passage in which Adam and Eve sewed together fig leaves to make aprons to cover themselves. We traditionally think of aprons being used for cooking, and while that is true, they have served as a cover-up for other tasks that tend to be messy. Occupations such as butchers, welders and bakers have always used aprons to protect both their clothing and bodies from their work.
For centuries, homemakers have used aprons. Even since the early 19th century, women have used aprons to keep their clothing clean. They have also used aprons to carry essential utensils such as rolling pins, for gathering and carrying eggs and for transporting kindling wood. Aprons have been an effective tool for many, many years.
It was not until the 1940s and 1950s that society started to see the stereotypes of the "perfect mother" who always wore an apron, no matter what. Until that time, aprons were thought of as a functional piece of the wardrobe.
Today’s aprons are more stylish. Perhaps surprisingly, aprons have made a fashionable comeback, even making occasional runway appearances in the form of the apron dress.
Here is a SUPER-DE-DUPER CUTE BLOG about Aprons!!!
So tell me.. Do you wear aprons?





4 comments:

Jody said...

While I'm not the 'perfect mom' as thought of in the apron-wearing stereotype, I do love aprons! =) Fun to read the article and thoughts here. I especially love vintage aprons. Maybe I should sell mine to be older ones. =) Just thought. Thanks for reading Nitty.Gritty. Ciao for now!

Lara Neves said...

Huge congrats on the weight loss! You inspire me...perhaps I'll start my diet yet again.

I only wear an apron if I'm doing mega cooking. Which is almost never. :)

Cris said...

WOW! Three pounds the first week?! You ROCK! Keep up the great work. And thanks for posting the article about the aprons, that was pretty intersting.

Susanne said...

Congratulations! That is an adorable apron.